Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2018 NFL Draft: Harold Landry Scouting

Posted by laiyongcai92 
2018 NFL Draft: Harold Landry Scouting
February 18, 2019 08:18AM
Report How soon will we use HONORifics to address Mr. Landry?Player Name: Harold LandryH/W: 6’2 252Position: EDGESchool / Class: Boston College / SeniorMeasureables: 4.64 40 Womens Derrick Henry Jersey , 36” vertical jump, 6.88 3 cone drill, 24 bench press reps, 9’11” broad jumpThe Tape2017 vs Clemson2017 vs Virginia Tech2016 vs Maryland2016 vs Clemson2016 vs Florida State (#7)Strengths- Athleticism -Landry is one of the better athletes at the edge position in the 2018 class. He ran a solid 4.64 in the 40 at the Combine. He has elite lateral agility and excellent hip control. His patented shoulder dip and go move is just awe inspiring. You know why coaches do the run around the hula hoop drill in practices? Harold Landry. He can bend and contort his body to get past the blocker with ease. Not to belabor the point any further but his bend and footwork is rare even for NFL pass rushers. Lateral ability is among the best. Isn’t an one trick pony that rushes up the field. He can drop back into coverage and not look bad doing it. I’ve noticed that he has a impressively explosive first step in all the tape I’ve watched. I like how he keeps on working towards the QB after being blocked out of the picture. Combine drills reflected his excellent quickness in turning and running with very little hip stiffness. Does not hesitate to track back on broken plays to tackle the ball carrier.- Versatility - Although Boston College is primarily a 4-3 team, they lined up Landry in both an end and outside linebacker position. He is more than capable of playing both without any drop off. I’ve seen him lined up on either side of the line so I believe the DC was just trying to get favorable matchups for him. From what I’ve seen, he can be a “pure” drop back coverage outside backer when called upon. - Instincts / IQ - He’s been coached by some of the best defensive minds in the country throughout his career. Current Michigan DC Don Brown is one. Brown is considered to be one of the best defensive coordinators in all of college football. Current Detroit Lions DC Paul Pasqualoni is highly regarded within the coaching ranks as a master teacher of defensive line and linebacker play. How does Landry apply that tutoring on the field? He goes for the ball when going after the QB and uses his long arms to easily stack and shed the blocker. There are several plays of him almost forcing the turnover. Instinctive as a coverage backer as well. Diagnoses pretty well. Motor doesn’t quit.- Production - Here we are at Mr. Robinson’s favorite word in the dictionary (those still exist in book form, right?) again. Posted 16.5 sacks in 2016, which led all of FBS in that category. Career lines read: 158 tackles, 48 tackles for loss, 25 sacks, 1 interception. 30% of his tackles were for a loss. He ranks second all time in school history in sacks and tackles for loss. He wasn’t doing this against scrubs either. Weaknesses- Arsenal - While he is elite at one move, it’s just one move. He needs to develop further moves and counters to remain effective against NFL linemen. NFL tackles will eat him alive if he doesn’t add to his arsenal. He’s a speed rusher at this point with an inefficient power game. Rarely uses bull rushes for some reason, whether its not coached or he just doesn’t like it. Rather predictable. While we’re on this category, good luck to the next hashtag aka the next Arsenal manager Unai Emery #EmeryOut or #UnaiOut. - Strength - Landry gets swallowed up in the wash quite frequently for a guy of his pedigree. Does not fare well at the point of attack on most occasions. Once the blocker gets the leverage, it’s difficult for him to disengage and make a play. Needs some time in the S&C program before becoming a full time contributor. Run defense is somewhat questionable due to a lack of strength. - Injury - I’m worried that his ankle injury from last year turns into the Corey Davis special. For a speed rusher Authentic Malcolm Butler Jersey , losing some mobility in the legs isn’t the most ideal situation in the world. The ankle knocked him out after 8 games in 2017. It’s something to monitor. NotesLandry was basically “it” for Boston College. Granted, BC is considered an average power five program but he wasn’t done any favors, really. He was a three star recruit that held offers from pretty much every name program. I watched a lot of the 2016 tape and it’s jaw dropping impressive. Was the 17th ranked prospect in North Carolina, 22nd ranked defensive end, 421st ranked nationally coming out of high school. Here are some fancy pictures to explain how dominant that 2016 tape was. Final SummaryJ-Robbery in its finest form. How he lasted until the second round is still incomprehensible. So yes, I do wholeheartedly endorse the pick. Is Landry the perfect prospect? No. He landed in an ideal situation for him to work on his weaknesses while not having to be thrown into the fire early. He can play situationally while developing behind current starters Brian Orakpo and Derrick Morgan. He needs to develop some in the weight room as well. He will be projected to challenge for a starting role if not win the job in 2019 after a year of sitting and learning. Landry is an elite top 15 prospect that somehow fell into the Titans laps when the entire world projected either him or Evans in the first round. To get both is quite remarkable. I love this pick. He definitely upgrades the pass rush that needs some help on the depth chart. Some people have compared him to Atlanta's Vic Beasley. It's an apt comp for him. Yes, Coach Vrabel, I PRAISED HAROLD LANDRY! Don’t @ me.What to look forward to in tonight’s Hall of Fame game It may not be a game that matters, but for the first time since February, we’re getting some actual football. Tonight at 8 PM eastern time, the Chicago Bears and Baltimore Ravens will face off in the annual Pro Football Hall of Fame game at (where else) the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. While both teams missed out on the playoffs last year, there’s actually plenty of reason to be excited about what they have in store for 2018.If you follow me on Twitter, you know how excited I am about the 2018 Bears. The biggest issue this team had in 2017 was indisputably the receiving corps, where the only players that had more than one touchdown were tight ends and running backs. The team responded by signing Jaguars receiver Allen Robinson http://www.tennesseetitansteamonline.com/marcus-mariota-jersey , Falcons receiver Taylor Gabriel, and Eagles TE Trey Burton, while selecting Memphis receiver Anthony Miller in this year’s draft. Combine that with Jordan Howard, Tarik Cohen, Adam Shaheen, and (maybe) a healthy Kevin White, and the Bears have playmakers everywhere, with former Chiefs offensive coordinator Matt Nagy pulling the strings. The defense features a promising safety duo in Adrian Amos and Eddie Jackson, and the team drafted Roquan Smith out of Georgia in the first round to a defensive line that includes Leonard Floyd, Akiem Hicks, Danny Trevathan, Eddie Goldman, etc. It’s hard to see the Bears not having a better record this season than last, and they could be a sneaky playoff contender in a loaded NFC.The Ravens have one of the league’s best defenses, and have made an effort to form some identity on offense in an attempt to contend for the playoffs. The team signed receivers Michael Crabtree http://www.tennesseetitansteamonline.com/quinton-spain-jersey , John Brown and Willie Snead in the offseason, and drafted tight end Hayden Hurst and quarterback Lamar Jackson in the first round of last year’s draft.I had Lamar Jackson as the best quarterback out of the 2018 draft class. He’s a much better passer than his critics give him any credit for, and as a runner he may be the best prospect since Cam Newton. His combination of speed, elusiveness, and ability to be lined up in all sorts of areas as a runner makes him dangerous. As a passer, he’s excellent down the field, is extremely poised under pressure, and can fit the ball into tight windows.If Lamar Jackson starts for the Ravens, there’s actual reason to be excited about that offense. Michael Crabtree is a high quality receiver that is a master at sideline catches, putting himself in a position for yards after the catch, and someone that offers great route running and ball skills. John Brown has been a quality receiver when healthy, and he gets a second chance to do some damage in Baltimore. Combined with a well coached running game, and this Ravens team could be fun to watch as long as Joe Flacco doesn’t start.On the Bears’ side of the ball, guys like Kevin White, Anthony Miller Authentic Dion Lewis Jersey , and Adam Shaheen are expected to play tonight. For the Ravens, expect guys like Lamar Jackson, Hayden Hurst, Jaleel Scott, Breshad Perriman, and Jordan Lasley to play tonight.And, of course, expect the infamous helmet contact rule the league enforced in the offseason to rear its ugly head tonight. I expect to be infuriated about this rule early on. I’m hoping that will change as the season progresses, but this is the NFL, where nothing is run correctly.With that said, the game will be on at 8 pm eastern time on NBC, and can be streamed live via NBC Sports Live as well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login